Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflections & A Tribute


We have a bit of a storm brewing to the South East of us that is “organizing” and could become a good sized tropical storm. Nobody seems to be particularly concerned and I have come to see why that is so at least here in the village. Life is simple here, people do not have very much and so are able to do without the amenities more affluent people miss in a disaster. They also have something extremely precious........trust in their neighbors help and a feeling of community that runs very deep. They may lose a roof, a window, clothes etc but they know that there will be help in the village from somewhere and that no one will be without aid in case of trouble. I have been included in that community and have been told that I will be watched out for if there were a real bad storm. It is a good feeling that comes from knowing that and one that endears these villagers to me even more than before.

Those kinds of revelations are becoming more frequent in my long contemplations by the Sea and under my palapa.

One that I had the other day that I would like to share with you was how much I missed John Lennon. Now I was never really much of a Beatles fan. I knew their music was exceptional in every way but it just didn’t strike a chord in me as did the music of The Doors, Credence Clearwater, Iron Butterfly and many, many others. I liked many of their songs, indeed some of them had an extraordinary affect on me yet their music was not my chosen music as it was for so many.



There was something however very special about John Lennon. His mellow voice of course, his excellent guitar work and his poetry put to music clearly indicated a genius. It’s nice to have a genius as a contemporary. To know that out their in your own time there was someone like a John Lennon burning with a creative fire that simply had no limits!

But it was not these things that made me think of him. What made me think of him was the love that he carried in his heart for this planet and all of humanity. He was a really good man. He would have been a great spokesman for the planet and for peace had he been allowed to continue his creative life. Unfortunately he was killed by a “pig boy” who had probably been raised to have pig beliefs. There is a lot of that going on today, particularly in America.

The injustice of it is a profound statement of a society gone mad. So here are two pictures (not mine of course) of John Lennon that I happen to like. One is on the cover of a book written about him. I just like it. There is a quiet wisdom and love in his face that I find very appealing.



This second picture is of the deeper side, the intellectual side. If this were a painting from the middle ages one might see the philosopher scientist here. I have seen other pictures that I like even better than these but I couldn’t find them online. But I believe these capture some of the true intelligence and love that was John Lennon.

In December it will be 29 years since his death, I miss him.

3 comments:

  1. As you know dad, he was the single most influential musician or artist (with Led Zeppelin just beating out the Beatles for favorite band) in my life. I can say, without a doubt, no single song's lyrics, all be they simple, had a more profound impact on my life than did Imagine. I was just a teenager when I really listened to it...and the simplicity and truth in his words, yet at the same time being so radically in opposition to the status quo, struck me like a lighting bolt. Holy shit I thought...its so obvious! Why can't it be that way??? Here are those lyrics:

    Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

    You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

    You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are all on the right track. Fron the West Coast of Canada, a man of the sea Gerry Deiter held close to his chest photos taken in 1959 of John and Yoko at the Montreal Bed-in. Check out www.peaceworksnow.com. Sadly Gerry died in 2005 but I have carried on his desire to rekindle Give Peace A Chance with a book and photo exhibition. There is a momentum building. Ordinary people are joining up to make extra ordinary things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peaceworker...I will check it out...I love Give Peace a Chance too...something about large groups of people chanting (or singing) that always gets me...

    ReplyDelete