Tuesday, May 4, 2010

So, spring is almost behind us here in El Cardonal. The major plant growth won’t actually begin though until we have had a summer storm or two, then its “jungle” time again. Well….not exactly jungle but green beyond belief when looking out at the desert right now. It will get considerably more brown and dry before then of course. Luckily the 4 years at The Univ. of Arizona back in the 60’s acclimated me to a Sonoran Desert environment so it’s all good by me. The most dramatic period is the Hurricane Season in mid August and thru September when the desert gets rattled by the wind and drenched in water…..very invigorating for the creatures here; animal & plant! I have a big decision to make at that time because my 50th high school reunion is on Sept. 9th right in the peak of the Hurricane Season.


me and my bro Peter, 1956

’60 Varsity Football

I would very much like to attend but I would also feel very bad not to share whatever the season brings with my plant and animal friends, particularly our local community. I am beginning to feel a shared reality with the Mexican People here and do not want to “High Tail It” when it gets a bit dicey.

There are very few whales left in the area, at least that I have seen. Alan saw one breaching about three days ago in front of his place and I have heard that there are still good numbers around San Jose and Cabo but my last 3 kayak trips out to The Whale Zone have been unproductive in the sense of seeing whales….the exercise however, and the stillness, are always a treat.

I had a visit from a dear friend and intern of mine from the 2009 season, Elizabeth Plumb. She is now with Sea Web in Oakland and doing the “good work”. It was a delight to see her and though she had only a bit of time to be here we covered lots of intellectual territory (she is very bright) and even got in a kayak trip out to the WZ and a swim back in over the reef before she had to leave.


Elizabeth 2009 Season

I saw my first Desert Iguana yesterday, which is a sure indicator of the approaching summer. There are 2 different species of bird nesting under my palapa and 2 also under the palapa of my adopted family. I identified 7 species of bird foraging in front of me the other day while breakfasting outside. I can’t imagine why I wasn’t turned on to birds before now; they are so cool!

Northern Cardinal

The insect people haven’t started up yet but I am sure as soon as we get some rain they will be out in good numbers. Will the Dragon Flies migrate by again, will the Millipedes return? These are important questions in my life now. Of course I am interested to see if the use of “Bounce” will actually keep away the Scorpions this year. So far since putting it in various locations in my trailer I have not seen a scorpion but they too are a critter waiting for the rains.

The winds are still undecided as to which, North or South, will dominate. In the last week we have had two good blows from The North so it hasn’t given up yet. I actually wore a long sleeved shirt the other night and sweat pants!!

Just in case any of you make it down here let me give you something to think about that you might enjoy discussing with me. I have come to the conclusion, not without a good amount of contemplation, meditation, altered states, shamanic mentoring, reading (including a good deal of Science Fiction) and studying (as well as simply living life) that THIS is impossible.


Giving it some thought, Red Pyramid, Egypt 2000

THIS being literally all that we believe makes up our reality from A to Z.


A home like ours

Check out the size of OUR sun

Whether on the Quantum Level or The Ethereal level I am, AT PRESENT, convinced that it is impossible to have THIS without some defining first cause. And I will not accept the simple answer, “It just is” or “It is here because we believe it to be here” or least of all that it is a Judeo-Christian "God’s Will” or any of those other (and I respect their origins) sometimes wise but totally unsatisfying refrains. No, there is something much, much more to this, eh? Arrogant as it might seem, I am still asking the question I asked as a very young boy looking at the sky on a summer’s day and wondering how far it went before there was an end. Where is the “edge” of reality? Ah, it is a circle they say, there is no beginning or end in a circle, the universe folds on itself, it is a mobious strip they say. Nevertheless a circle has a circumference does it not? A circumference is a border between what is inside and what is outside the circle. I would like to know what is “outside” the circle? “Infinity” you say! That’s a cop out. I know for many people, and perhaps you are one, this is basic but for me it is still the unanswered question. I do not fret about it, it does not occupy my time and I am not afraid of an answer. I just want something palatable for me. Now here is the REALLY COOL PART. I love every bit of THIS; well, not War and INJUSTICE, but you know, birds, blue skies (or stormy), millipedes, soft breezes, my dear whales and human friends etc.


My good buddy Alan

A new friend from 2 years ago...pointing to The Sea

It does not make me a bit unhappy that I do not yet understand “THE GREAT MYSTERY”. The trick I think is to KEEP ON DANCING and KEEP ON SINGING.


“Women’s Circle Dance” Crow Fair, Montana



"Nam Myoho Renge Kyo" (Homage to The Mystic Law of The Lotus Sutra)
Tendai Buddhist Chant circa 750 BP

No comments:

Post a Comment