Wednesday, August 22, 2012


A beautiful kayaking morning on The Sea of Cortez

The above picture was taken about three weeks ago from my trailer as the sun rose over The Sea. It was a kayaker’s dream morning. The Sea was flat like a lake, no wind predicted and a slight, slight cloud cover so it would not be so hot as the sun climbed higher. I don’t recall whether I saw anything of particular note that day, just the quiet and tranquility of being with Grandmother.

I may have mentioned in an earlier blog that my land partners, and adopted French Canadian family, The Q’s, are all superb athletes and devoted to the study of the marshal arts. Jean-Luc is a black belt in Judo and instructs in Quebec. My dear Brigitte just completed her tests in karate, and is now ‘Shodan”, a first-degree black belt.
Brigitte Mercier, "Shodan"

I am extremely proud of her. She has three grown sons, runs a restaurant with Jean-Luc, maintains a household, attends karate classes devotedly (where she helps instruct) and looks like a 20 year old. This picture does not do her justice, CONGRATULATIONS Brigitte!

I enjoyed watching the Summer Olympics except for the usual hyperbole that has become a consistent trait in American journalism. I was particularly annoyed with the business about Michael Phelps being “The Greatest Olympic Athlete in History”. I was a water-polo player and swimmer so I do know the effort it takes to be the best in the water (not that I was) and I honor that. He very well could be the greatest competitive swimmer so far in history…but “Greatest Olympic Athlete” is a bit much. When one considers the ALL AROUND athleticism of a competitor in the Decathlon (two days/ten events), one can talk about “Greatness”. My favorite choice would be The Native American Indian, Jim Thorpe. He won gold medals in both the decathlon and pentathlon in 1912!!

Jim Thorpe, a truly GREAT athlete

Mexico’s gold medal in soccer was a special treat. I watched it with the neighborhood cantina owner, Alfonzo, who opened up his place at 8:00 am in the morning so I could watch it on his big screen.

My homeland of Estonia received two medals; one for wrestling and one for discus…go Estonia!

And one last word about The Olympics. You have to give credit to Terri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor. Three consecutive gold medals in beach volleyball, that’s twelve YEARS of being the best!! Amazing.

Terri Walsh....."digging it"

On a different level entirely, here’s a little something to ponder.

Keep in mind please, there are TWO heads on the overpopulation monster…People Overpopulation and Consumption Overpopulation. Two distinct but EQUALLY serious problems. Nevertheless, look what we humans do sometimes.


 I was also delighted to see the landing on Mars of the rover Curiosity. Even if a single reproducing cellular organism is to be found, every cent is worth it. And if one living organism is not found, what an incredible feat of technology nonetheless, makes me proud to be a human.



Curiosity, the Mars rover

Check out the NASA website to see how they landed this vehicle…unbelievable!!

And here’s a picture it sent back a few days later

That's Earth, Jupiter and Venus....from Mars!

On a more earthly note, we FINALLY got our first summer rain on the fourteenth. A good three-day constant watering…the desert is thriving!

The manuscript about my life with the whales is now in the hands of Balboa Press. The working title is: The Others, “The Whale People”: A Personal Journey of Discovery, Transformation and Healing. There will probably be much to be done yet but I am hoping to be published by Christmas.

Speaking of Cetaceans, check this out.


Dolphin sound

White beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) sounds, wavelet graph. This image was produced by converting the frequencies of sounds made by a white beaked dolphin into a graph using a mathematical process known as wavelets. Wavelets reveal structure and detail that are not always visible in standard graphs of frequency over time (known as a spectrogram). This image has been plotted as a polar coordinate (circular) graph but wavelet graphs can also be in rectangular form. Dolphins produce a wide variety of high frequency vocalizations, such as clicks, whistles and cries. These sounds are used for echolocation and communication with other dolphins. They can be recorded using underwater hydrophones. Image created by Mark Fischer from Aguasonic Acoustics, USA.

Well, that’s about it for now my friends. I hope with all my heart that your journeys are going well…and I leave you with this little bit of wisdom.



Que les vaya bien, amigos



No comments:

Post a Comment